If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (336) 224-2565

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

‘I’ve Have Water Damage In My Home, What Does Insurance Cover?’

4/20/2018 (Permalink)

There is no such thig as a small disaster when it comes to your home.  Most homeowners and businesses have never considered the possibility of water damage affecting your property and if it happens it can be overwhelming.  While each loss is unique and homeowners and businesses need to consult their insurance policy or agent for actual coverage guidelines these scenarios are a guide to help property owners know what questions to ask.

  • Roof/Water Damage Due to Storms

The critical thing to remember for most insurance policies is maintenance.  If your roof has been well maintained and does not show neglect generally your policy should cover all damage incurred by the storm.

  • Appliance Overflows

Normally you homeowner’s policy should cover the loss in the event of an appliance such as a dishwasher or washing machine overflowing.  Again, if the appliance shows signs of obvious neglect you may have issues with your insurance company.  Inspect all cords and hoses on your appliances regularly and if they show signs of wear have them replaced.

  • Flooding from Natural Disasters

Flood damage can be the most confusing of all water damage in your home. Flood damage is not covered by your standard homeowners policy and a separate policy needs to be purchased.  A general rule of thumb is if any water touches the outside/ground before entering the property it will be considered flooding and not covered unless you have purchased flood insurance.  Please remember just because your home is not in a flood plain does not mean you can not experience flooding.  Flood damage can occur not only from hurricanes or overflowing rivers but over-saturated grounds from heavy rains.

  • Frozen Pipe Burst

If a pipe bursts in your home due to freezing temperatures cause water to leak into your home most polices cover this type of loss.  Again, if the loss is due to negligence such as as property that is unoccupied without heat.  The insurance company may not cover.

Again, this is just a guideline and each homeowners policy is different so if you have questions please contact your insurance agent.  If you have experienced a loss, please call the experts at SERVPRO of Lexington/Thomasville.  With national agreements with hundreds of insurance carriers SERVPRO is a trusted leader in water cleanup and restoration.

Other News

View Recent Posts